Postdoctoral position at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: COVID-19 predictions in news and social media
1 FTE (2-3 years)
The PROFECI Team at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (http://profeci.net/) is looking to recruit a Postddoctoral Fellow in an ERC-funded project about the social dynamics of projecting possible futures and the role of the media in this process. In collaboration with an international team of researchers, led by Prof. Keren Tenenboim-Weinblatt, the postdoctoral fellow will examine how projections regarding the COVID-19 pandemic in media discourse interact with political and behavioral responses in different countries.
The research will involve collection and analysis of projections regarding the pandemic’s development, outcomes, and longer-term implications in news and social media, and the integration of this data with publicly available statistics on the pandemic. This includes developing a model capable of accounting for the behavioral implications of Covid-19-related projections. The postdoctoral fellow will also participate in the application and validation of algorithmic tools for the automated extraction and analysis of pandemic-related projections in media discourse and the development of survey measurements to examine real-time public responses to such projections.
The position is fully-funded for two years, with a possibility for a third-year extension. Specific start date will be determined based on pandemic-related constraints and the availability of suitable candidates.
Suitable candidates should have:
- PhD in Communication, Public Health, or related fields (or be close to completion of the PhD). Expertise in health communication is an advantage.
- advanced language skills in English, as well as another European language, with a preference for French.
- experience in textual analysis. Acquaintance with computational approaches is an advantage, but not a mandatory requirement.
- statistical understanding and capabilities.
- a record of academic excellence.
If you are interested in this position, please submit the following materials, by email, to email@example.com:
- a letter stating your motivation and qualification for the job (~1 page).
- CV, including a list of publications.
- two letters of recommendation (one of them should be from the PhD supervisor).
- one relevant publication (published or under review).
Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2020, and continue until the position is filled.