The ERC project PROFECI at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is looking to recruit a
Postdoctoral Researcher in Computational Text Analysis
for a minimum of 2 years, starting in fall 2019
PROFECI focuses on the social dynamics of projecting possible futures and the role of the media in this process. It is an interdisciplinary, EU-funded ERC project headed by Prof. Keren Tenenboim-Weinblatt at the Department of Communication and Journalism at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The project focuses on several major political crossroads of recent (e.g., Brexit, the Trump campaign) and upcoming years. It aims to reconstruct how scenarios about the outcomes and implications of significant events are constructed, transformed, received, and acted upon, using a combination of computational text analysis and other social scientific methods. The key responsibility of the postdoctoral researcher will be to develop and implement, in close cooperation with Dr. Christian Baden (senior researcher in the project) and the other team members, an algorithmic strategy capable of extracting and classifying complex semantic contents in multilingual public discourse.
Suitable candidates should…
- hold (or be close to completion of) a PhD in the Social Sciences, Digital Humanities, Computational Linguistics or Computer Science
- have experience in empirical research in the computational analysis of natural discourse, and the application of quantitative research methods and statistics more generally
- possess working knowledge in computer programming (experience in Python and/or R)
- show a profound interest in the development of novel computational strategies for text analysis in an interdisciplinary scientific context
- possess excellent (written and spoken) English communication skills
Applications should comprise a statement of motivation (1 page), CV including list of publications, the names and contact details of three referees, as well as one publication (published or under review) relevant to the required expertise. Applications should be sent as PDF to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on March 1st, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled.